Have you ever found an unopened jar of ‘something’ that got lost in the maze that is the kitchen pantry, and then further realized that its’ expiration date was soon approaching? No? Okay, well it does happen. That’s actually the story behind how these TAHINI, yes, TA-HINI (ground sesame seed paste/sauce if you will) cookies were born!
Hey, don’t knock it ’til you try it! ;) Though, if you’re a gluten-lover/cookie-snob/baked treats guru — then alright, maybe these aren’t for you. But we surely devoured them.
So I’ve never really been a baker. BUT, these are absolutely sensational and actually taste better in the following days after storing them in the fridge! I feel like a superstar when I have one as a nightly treat, because they’re just as good as the $5-a-piece gluten-free treats that you can find at the health food store!
- 4.5 tbsp. tahini
- 4 tbsp. ghee (use coconut oil for dairy-free substitute)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2.5 tbsp. 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1.5 tsp flaxseed grounded/meal
- 1/2 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla flavoring/extract
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (half for baking mix/ half for topping)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mega chunk chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. pure baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut cream caramel sauce (for topping)
- baking sheet/cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- Preheat your oven to 385 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients except for chocolate chunks, and flaxseed meal, also only use 1/2 the salt amount at this time for the dry mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed meal, almond milk, and ghee oil. Mix until there are no chunks, then add the remaining wet ingredients except for the caramel sauce and mix again until no chunks.
- Combine wet and dry mixes and stir until cohesive.
- Use a spoon to grab small amounts of dough and then use the heat from your palms to hand roll in to balls. Place on already-lined baking/cookie sheet.
- Press with thumb or back of spoon in to the center of each ball to create a center to then fill with caramel sauce and chocolate chunks.
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or store in fridge for an even better taste when cold!